Another thing that happened... which I suppose is kind of a big deal... I was hired to teach Art in the fall! After a lot of nerve-wracking interviews and waiting and second interviews and more waiting, I was offered a position at the high school in Verona. It's a large school (1300+ students) and a large Art department (I'm one of FOUR Art teachers!). The school is also only a few miles from Epic so Jordan and I will actually be working pretty close to each other. Lately I've been spending a lot of my time working on learning Video Production basics since that's one of the classes I'll be teaching. Since I'm also a little bit of a control freak, I've spent a lot of time in my classroom going through all the cupboards and storage to reorganize, throw away junk, move things around, and decorate. I'm super excited to be teaching again!
In the last month, Jordan and I have done some fun things. We celebrated our one-year wedding anniversary, took a few trips around WI and home to MN, and have really enjoyed exploring Madison. Here are some pictures:
Married for one year!
Presents! The first year is traditionally paper so I designed some stationary for Jordan with him name and favorite animal, and I made a book chronicling the last year together. He bought me a recipe card box and promises to write them all out for me since my current system is a mess in a binder. Oh, and I bought the first half of the last season of Breaking Bad because we have all the rest and really, that is just the best show ever.
This is what the sky looked like in the evening. We had planned to do some hiking on our anniversary but the weather wasn't great so we went shopping for a recliner for the living room instead. Romantic. In the evening, we ordered pizza (it's a tradition!) and watched the video of our wedding ceremony.
And I got flowers! I like flowers.
In early July, we went to the House on the Rock. I've been there several times but Jordan had never gone. It's one of the gems of Wisconsin. So strange. So lovely. So musty.
This is the infinity room. It's a room that ends in a point and hangs over the edge of a cliff. I was a little shaky walking in since it's very high and all the walls are glass but Jordan had no problem. We went during the week when it wasn't very crowded so we actually got to be in here by ourselves which was the first time I've ever gotten to do that. Usually this room is the most crowded.
On another part of the tour, you get to visit the roof which has beautiful views. Jordan spotted a bear. Or maybe a log. We're not sure.
This room is scary. Also, notice my hair frizzing up? It was humid in there!
Jordan liked these Burma-Shave signs from the highway. I don't like his bristles.
According to the throne of passion, in 2009 (on the left) I was 'hot'. Now in 2013 (on the right), I'm 'sexy'.
At the end of the day I think Jordan was done getting his picture taken. A few days later we went to the park and watched the fourth of July fireworks over the lake. We didn't plan very well and were eaten up by mosquitoes. At least the view was pretty!
The Madison 'skyline'. There is some rule that no buildings can be taller than the Capitol so there aren't any skyscrapers.
So many bugs!!
I also went to MN for a few days to visit family and friends. I got to
see Michael (who I hadn't seen since our wedding!) and Kristina. I
think this is the most flattering picture of the three of us ever taken.
In the middle of the month, I did something I'd never done before: I went on a Peddle Pub. My two friends, Renee and Kristen, are both getting married this summer and this was their bachelorette party. It was a lot of fun and we got to spend some time in downtown Madison.
Here are some things I learned about Peddle Pubs:
1. They are harder than they look! You actually have to put a little effort into it!
2. Everyone will look at you. Everyone.
3. They will especially look at you if you're all yelling "WOOO!!" and singing along with 'Dancing Queen' at the top of your lungs.
4. People will take videos of you. And take pictures. And they're probably posted somewhere on facebook right now with comments about how ridiculous we looked, or how ridiculously awesome we looked. One or the other.
5. They are more fun than you think. And when going downhill, they move fast!
Kristen, me, and Renee. The last time I saw these lovely women together was when Renee was getting ready to leave for the Peace Corps in China in 2008....
Five years ago! I think we're all even more attractive now!
One thing I've been trying to do more this summer is spend time outside. Our friend, Chris, has a very friendly and large dog that loves the dog park so this is where I've been trying to go every few days. You can't see him very well in this picture, but he's running at me full-speed and very happy. It's been a good summer so far. Jordan is liking his job, I'm getting ready to start mine in the fall, and we have lots more adventures coming up in the next month!


No comments:
Post a Comment