Sunday, January 6, 2013

Everyday is a new chance to turn it all around.

Goodbye 2012. Another year comes to an end. For the first time in several years, I actually WASN'T sick on my favorite holiday, New Year's Eve, and managed to have a good time. Jordan and I had several people over to our place for food and drinks. It was pretty casual but a nice way to ring in the new year. And I thought I should do this again since 2012 was kind of a big deal. 

What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
Got married. Went to the Miami, Nassau, and Key West. Made an insurance claim for my car. Bought grown-up furniture. Had lingual braces on my teeth. Took a pottery class at the Cultural Arts Center. Took a pregnancy test (negative). Bought records and played them on my own turn table (thanks, Jacob!).

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't make resolutions because I always seem to break them. But I do have three goals for 2013:

1. By the end of the year, I'd like to have a job that is more aligned with my passion for Art and Education and actually pays me enough to be able to save for the future.

2. By the end of the year, I'd like to establish an exercise routine that I can maintain long-term.

3. By the end of the year, I'd like Jordan and I to have firm and realistic plans for eventually buying a house and having a baby. 

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone that is close to me that gave birth, but I know a heck of a lot of pregnant people so this will probably be a long list in 2014. 

Did anyone close to you die?
My last living grandparent, Tomi Parker. And Jordan's grandpa. 

What countries did you visit?
The Bahamas. This year we're hoping to go to Niagara Falls so I'll be in Canada at some point. 

What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More self-control, but I always want that. And neighbors that aren't in a band and play music at 2am during the week. And I always want more pets! 

What date(s) from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 22nd- our wedding day

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having the best wedding in the history of the world with my best friend. 

What was your biggest failure?
I gained weight. Not really happy about that. 

Did you suffer illness or injury?

Not really. 2012 was a pretty healthy year for me and Jordan. 

What was the best thing you bought?

Our new couches. 

Whose behavior merited celebration?
My parents and Jordan's parents, for helping us so much with the wedding. Jordan's behavior always merits celebration. And the people of MN, for voting NO on the marriage amendment. 

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Pretty much every politician with their terrible campaign ads and mailings. 

Where did most of your money go?
Where it always goes... rent, gas, groceries, student loans. And the wedding. 

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Well, getting married (notice a theme here?) and the honeymoon were pretty much awesome. Jordan and I also get pretty jazzed every time we see all the raccoons that like to hang out in our dumpster. They are adorable. 

What song will always remind you of 2012?
Someone that I Used To Know- Gotye (feat. Kimbra)

Compared to this time last year, are you:

i. happier or sadder?
Happier with my personal life, sadder with my professional life. Same as 2012.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Definitely fatter, the fattest I've ever been actually. But I'm working on that. 
iii. richer or poorer?
Poorer. 

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise. Staying connected with people I love. I always think I should read more. 

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Watching Honey Boo Boo on TLC. No one should ever do that. 

Did you fall in love in 201s?
I STILL stayed in love. Gross. 

What was your favorite TV program?

Shark Tank. I know, you'd like that someone as shark-phobic as me would steer clear of a show with that name but I love it. 

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

No, I don't think I really hate anyone. 

What was the best book you read?
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It is super interesting and well-written. 

What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?

Gotye, Of Monsters and Mean

What did you want and get?
The best day of my life with my best friend. Awww. 

What did you want and not get?
Washboard abs. 

What was your favorite film of this year?
I really liked Cabin in the Woods when Jordan and I watched scary movies in October. And the Hunger Games was great. 

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30. Jordan and I got up and went for a lovely hike in the woods at St. John's in MN. Then we flew back to Columbus that night. Turning 30 was weird for me. 

What one thing would have made the year immeasurably more satisfying?
Quiet neighbors. More money. 

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?

About that same as it was in 2009, 2010, and so on. Jeans and t-shirts. Now I wear scrubs too.  

What political issue stirred you the most?

Experiencing an election while living in a battleground state was crazy and depressing. At the end of it all, I was happy with the outcome but those were a terrible few months leading up to the election. 

Who did you miss?
My family and my friends, all the time. 

Who was the best new person you met?
Even more of Jordan's friends from OSU. The Philosophy dept. has some pretty great people (my husband included.)

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Being smart and having experience doesn't mean you are going to be able to get a job when there are a lot of other smart and experienced people in the world too. My marriage is the most important thing in my life and I'm married to a really, really great person. Whether things are going well or you're in a tough place, things won't always be this way; everything changes. Embrace the chaos, embrace the uncertainty.  

No comments:

Post a Comment