Monday, January 1, 2018

2017: Year in Review

As always... the Year in Review: 2017

What did you do in 2017 that you'd never done before?
This is always such a tough question- I should try to keep track of my new experiences more throughout the year. Jordan and I spent multiple nights away from Noah. I made lotion bars and candles. I cut sugar and flour out of my diet (not permanently, but for a fair amount of time.) Went to a hot yoga class. I taught summer school. I taught Sunday School- well, I guess technically I did that in high school as well, but I don't think that counts. I taught a Sculpture class. I spent 20+ hours in the car with my husband and kid. I got a new iPhone. Worked with architects in planning the Art department for our district's new high school. 

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
At the end of 2016, I was feeling a lot of uncertainty and dread about 2017, mostly because of our terrible president. When I filled out this survey last year that was weighing heavily on my mind and this is what I wrote as my "goal" for 2017: I just hope that at the end of 2017 I can breathe a little and say that things aren't as bad as I feared they would be. 

Well, I guess things aren't as bad as I feared, but mostly because I had, and still have, some pretty intense worst case scenarios in my head. When I just focus on my family- we're good. We're healthy and stable and safe. But that's a narrow and short-sighted view. I'm still afraid for the future of our country. I'm afraid of the consequences coming from our deteriorating international relationships and complete lack of leadership. I'm afraid that this new tax plan will continue to deepen and widen the already staggering wealth gap. Climate change. Access to healthcare. Racial inequities. Public education. Social welfare programs. I worry about all this stuff and how our current actions will have incredibly negative impact in the future for Noah's generation. Wow, Kayleen, you're a real downer.

So, for 2018: I want to be more brave. I want to continue improving my self-care and investment in my relationships. I want to read more quality stuff, less garbage on the internet. I want to be less fearful.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
I can't think of anyone particularly close to me, but my facebook feed still features plenty of babies (which I love!) and I have several pregnant friends which is always exciting! I spent so many years being intimidated and indifferent to babies, it's crazy how my feelings have changed since becoming a parent- now I love love love babies!

Did anyone close to you die?
Again, I can't think of anyone particularly close to me.

What countries did you visit?
None. BUT. We have international travel plans for 2018 which is exciting! I'll have to dust off my passport!

What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
I can't think of much, actually. More peace with my relationships and friendships, maybe.

What date(s) from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I don't have specific dates- but our trip to Iowa/Nebraska was a big highlight of the year for me.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Jordan and I did some serious work on our eating choices late in the summer which resulted in some great, positive changes. I'm really proud that we did this together- even when it was difficult. 

What was your biggest failure?
I still hate the word 'failure'-- maybe I should just think of it as more like 'area for improvement.' I'm still working on self-care. I'm working on being more introspective and inquisitive, less judgmental and reactive. I'm forever working on balance between self, work, parenting, friendships, and my marriage. But I feel like it's all going in the right direction. Also- when I look back at my past writing- I really use an excessive amount of commas and exclamation points. I should work on that.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing worse than last year. Some colds, viruses, strep throat, etc. I messed up for foot for awhile but that is better now.

What was the best thing you bought?
I'm really loving the yoga studio membership I got last month!

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Noah went through some big transitions this year- turning 3 and moving into a new classroom at daycare. It's easy to minimize the challenges that a toddler faces (they don't have *real* problems, right?!), but when I think about how many new situations that Noah has to traverse daily, it takes a lot of adaptability and courage! He is doing new things for the first time, all the time- that takes a lot of mental work! So I'm proud of him for being such a kind, brave, hardworking person. And Jordan always deserves credit for being an amazing partner to me.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I'm appalled daily by the current president. He's a buffoon and it's embarrassing. Sometimes my students baffle me, but they're teenagers so I guess I can't be too hard on them.

Where did most of your money go?
To Jordan. And then he makes sure it all goes to the right places to help our family. He is really the financial hub of the family and I'm grateful for that.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I was really excited for our summer travels to Iowa, Nebraska, and Door County. I was really excited for Noah's birthday and Christmas- it's so fun to experience the magic of holidays through your child. I'm excited to be a part of planning the Art department in the high school that our district is building- it's a once-in-a-career opportunity.

What song will always remind you of 2017?
I should pay more attention to current music. I feel like I have no idea what is even popular right now!

Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter?
Thinner! Finally!
iii. richer or poorer?
Richer, thanks entirely to Jordan's fancy financial footwork. :)

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Creative projects. Risk-taking.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying about what other people think of me. Worrying about making everyone happy.

Did you fall in love in 2017?
Same two guys. Still love'em. Repeat forever. One of my favorite things is all the games that Noah makes up to play. Some of them include: Socky Wocky, Rag the Tag, Bounce the Gounce, Flip the Gip- also called Flippy Gippy, Hop On the Pop... notice a trend here? How could anyone not love this?

What was your favorite TV program?
The shows that Jordan and I regularly watched together are Last Man on Earth and Stranger Things- both of which I really enjoy. I still love Shark Tank- I really admire entrepreneurs! And Jordan just showed me that there's a new season of Black Mirror which I'm excited to watch.

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I'm deleting this question this year. I just don't have time/energy to hate anyone.

What was the best book you read?
I read a couple fun mystery/thrillers this year- The Wife Between Us and the Couple Next Door- which were good, short reads. And I started reading the Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck and really enjoyed it, but then it was due back at the library so I still need to finish that. The two books I read this year that probably influenced me most were Bright Line Eating by Susan Peirce Thompson and Come As You Are by Emily Nagoski. Carrie got me an awesome birthday present this year- a 3 month membership to the Book of the Month club- and I still have one more book to pick out which I'm looking forward to. 

What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
I should try to listen to more new music in 2018. That would be another good goal.

What did you want and get?
I really wanted an oil diffuser for Christmas and I got one, so I'm excited about that. And I wanted to spend more time with friends and I think I've done a good job of that.

What did you want and not get?
I've been saving money all year for a piano and I finally have enough so I think it'll happen in 2018!

What was your favorite film of this year?
Get Out, for sure. You should see it if you haven't yet.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 35. It was a great day with family. Brunch in the morning and a quiet, fancy dinner out with Jordan in the evening. And I got to check out an awesome bar/restaurant downtown with friends too. 

What one thing would have made the year immeasurably more satisfying?
Big picture: A different president.
Little picture: Can't we all always use more sleep?

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
Forever t-shirts and jeans. I think I'm going to try to start wearing earrings again. Trend setter!

What political issue stirred you the most?
Barf. There are too many to name.

Who did you miss?
As always- my friends and family in MN. We're hoping to spend more time in MN this summer which means I'll get to see more people!

Who was the best new person you met?
I met more of Jordan's co-workers this year which was nice. I don't think I met as many new people this year as I have in the past, though.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017:
This isn't really a life lesson, but I feel like my ideas about who I want to be and what is important to me are becoming more clear. Also, I think I'm more honest with myself about areas where I need improvement and I'm more willing to admit my flaws. I'm hopeful about 2018. 

No comments:

Post a Comment