As always... the Year in Review: 2024
What did you do in 2024 that you'd never done before?
Visited a chiropractor and got my neck cracked (twice!) Took a stained glass class. Started a new medication. Bought rats. Attended a wrestling practice. Watched/helped Noah learn to bike. Caught a bat in the school. Went to an educational conference in Madison. Taught a Wheel Throwing class at the HS. Finally visited Picnic Point in Madison. Watched Labyrinth in a movie theatre on the big screen. Stayed overnight in a hotel with just Noah. Took a trip to Mineral Point with friends. Voted for a bi-racial woman in a presidential race. Visited Wilderness Resort waterpark. Watched the local fire department put out a fire at a pizza place. Watched Noah perform singing and dancing in a school talent show. Set up an art- making space at home for myself (the Fungeon Dungeon!) Traveled to AZ as an adult. Purchased an oracle deck - multiple actually. Bought a sump pump and a washing machine. Did a solo goodwill tour roadtrip through MN to visit friends I haven't seen in too long. Saw Kathy Griffin at the Overture center. Went to a Lacrosse game.
Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I said I wanted to go to an average of 8 yoga classes a month... I'm not sure I quite met that, but I did go to 40 classes over the summer and I'm doing another 40 class challenge right now. I'm definitely hoping I keep doing yoga regularly this year, I think the 8 classes/month is a good goal. One of my teachers once said 'A flexible spine is a young spine' and it has stuck with me.
I also said that I wanted to keep up my self-care, save some money, and stay grateful. I would say I've done a pretty good job of two of those this year. My bank account can always use help. :D
I'm feeling very apprehensive about the presidential transition next month and I have no hope that another term of Trump will bring anything but more chaos, bigotry, and wealth disparity. He is an abominable person and I can't think of him without my blood pressure going up. I hope I can maintain my peace this year while he is in office.
Did anyone close to you give birth?
My best friend is pregnant and I can't wait to support her through the transition to motherhood and meet her baby girl!
Did anyone close to you die?
One of our rats, JJ, died only a few months after we got her. And I attended my uncle's funeral in February which was bittersweet. I got to see many relatives I haven't seen in years and it was so wonderful to spend time together.
What countries did you visit?
None this year, unfortunately, but I do have international travel plans booked for 2025!
What would you like to have in 2025 that you lacked in 2024?
After some ups and downs with doctor's visits this year, I'm ending 2024 feeling really good physically, and I want to continue that into the new year.
What date(s) from 2024 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm not sure there are any specific dates this year. But the last week of September was significant for me!
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I'm really happy with the number of books I've read this year. I haven't kept track, but I've consistently had a book that I was reading every night before bed and I have a stack of 'to-read' books that I'm continually adding to. Maybe this year I'll try to keep track.
What was your biggest failure?
I didn't do a great job of saying no to taking on projects and found myself overwhelmed a few times. But I'm going to keep working on that for 2025 too and I think I've already made some progress by letting go of some commitments.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a moderately severe neck/shoulder injury in October which required chiropractor visits, pain meds, heat, and massage which didn't go away for over a month. I guess this is part of getting older? Boo.
What was the best thing you bought?
All of my stained glass equipment! And a super special shout out and thanks to my Aunt Jan and Uncle Ken for helping support my new hobby. Nothing I've made so far feels good enough to gift to someone, but I promise you'll get something in 2025!
Whose behavior merited celebration?
My goodwill tour of Minnesota this summer helped me remember how many beautiful and special friends I have. I am so grateful for their hospitality and support and love. I am lucky enough to have several forever friends and it doesn't matter how much time passes between our visits, I know our hearts are always connected.
And of course, I always have to give credit to Jordan, Noah and Evan for being the best things in my life. They make me whole.
Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There was a school shooting a couple weeks ago just a few miles from my school. Two people were killed. One teacher was exactly my age. It's too much to hold. Oh, and every person that voted for Donald Trump.
Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage. Daycare. Home stuff.
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to my stained glass classes! And Jordan and I have a trip planned this winter that I'm VERY excited for!
What song will always remind you of 2024?
The Gym by Wolves of Glendale. This song always makes me laugh and stays in my head for a week after I hear it.
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2024?
I think I will always wear jeans and t-shirts, even when I'm 80 years old. I bought a few dresses this year for some special occasions, and I now have a good collection of workout clothing too.
What political issue stirred you the most?
Let's just say that every member of my family has a current passport and I am not interested in waiting around to watch the empire fall.
Who did you miss?
I will always wish that I had more family and friends living closer to me. I love living in the Madison area and I think everyone should move here too! It's often listed as one of the best places to live in the US... hint hint. :)
Who was the best new person you met?
I think I met fewer new people this year because I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone!
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2024:
I looked through my photos from this year while answering these questions and found several screenshots/photos I took of quotes/images that struck me. I put some of those here. I don't know that 2024 had any huge revelations for me but it was a good year overall. I'm not feeling particularly optimistic about 2025, but I do feel peace and resolve, so I guess that's something.



No comments:
Post a Comment