Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023: Year in Review

  As always... the Year in Review: 2023


What did you do in 2023 that you'd never done before?
Went to a waxing salon. Took a trip out of the country with my mom. Had a pet euthanized at home. Designed and taught a community education Ceramics class. Visited a medium. Climbed up a volcano. Replaced parts in a dish washer. Installed a bidet attachment on a toilet. Combined mental health meds. Worked with a student teacher in my classes. Tried some new techniques/forms on the pottery wheel. Visited a psychiatrist. Got an estimate from a painting company. Started buying Eggo waffles regularly. Replaced parts in a toilet. Had no pets in the house for almost a year. Went to Noah's first chalice ceremony. Bought a cameo video. Went to a bunch of HS football games this season.

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Last year I said I was going to say 'no' more often. I think I did that pretty well in the beginning but by the end of the year I was feeling some of that familiar overwhelm after taking on a few too many commitments. 

I don't have any big goals this year. I want to try to go to at least 8 yoga classes a month - at least on average. Keep plugging away at the self-care and self-improvement. Save some money. Stay grateful for my health and family and friends.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Some good friends recently adopted a baby after waiting for years, and I'm BEYOND happy for them! And I'm very, very hopeful that more babies are in the future for more friends this year.

Did anyone close to you die?
My uncle passed away this month. I'll be traveling to AZ later to see family for the memorial which I'm looking forward to although it's for a sad reason. Jack (our cat) passed away in January.

What countries did you visit?
ICELAND AGAIN (with my mom!)

What would you like to have in 2024 that you lacked in 2023?
I'll repeat my answer from last year: More resolve to take better care of myself, consistently, in all the ways.

What date(s) from 2023 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
No major dates, but the last week of July in Iceland with mom was really fun.

What was your biggest achievement of the year? 
I'm proud of how I turned some obstacles around into growth and foundation for more positivity this year. And I'm proud of the depth and care that has grown in my friendship with Carrie.

What was your biggest failure?
Failure is such a strong word. I had a few ugly pieces come out of the kiln a couple times. :D

Did you suffer illness or injury?
There were some moderately difficult mental health challenges earlier this year, but I'm happy those are sorted out now. Otherwise, I'm lucky my physical health has been relatively consistent.

What was the best thing you bought?
At the end of 2022, I impulse-bought a bidet attachment for the toilet in our master bathroom and installed it at the beginning of January this year. Best decision ever. 10/10. Highly recommend. Treat yo'self.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Jordan. My kids. My friends. We have a new principal at my school and I've been impressed with him so far. I have some really exceptional seniors this year that I'm going to miss after graduation.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There are always some people that will disappoint you. Best not to dwell on it.

Where did most of your money go?
The same for the last 9 years: Childcare and a mortgage. But Evan will start 4k this year so we'll save a bit on daycare eventually.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I was really excited for this past summer vacation - it was one of the first summers in awhile where I didn't teach any summer school!

What song will always remind you of 2023?
Bones by Kidz Bop. Thanks, Noah.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
I'm not sure. More content, maybe?
ii. thinner or fatter?
I've stopped weighing myself, but my clothes all still fit me from last year.
iii. richer or poorer?
Mo'money, mo'problems.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Time with Jordan. We're hoping to get more episodes of the podcast out this year!

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Less time on my phone.

Did you fall in love in 2023?
I love my guys and this little life.

What was your favorite TV program?
I watched all of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman on Amazon Video and was surprised at how much I liked it! 

What was the best book you read?
I actually re-read quite a few books this year that I hadn't read since high school. Most notably, In the Lake of the Woods by Tim O'Brien and the Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I'm currently re-reading some Ray Bradbury. Not surprisingly, my perspective on these books is so different now from when I was 16-18 years old and it's been fun to revisit them.

What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
I have a new podcast I really like called Dear Shandy. It's a couple that does silly recaps of some reality TV show garbage that I like, but also does relationship Q&A episodes that are insightful and interesting. Plus, that have great banter that makes me laugh.

What did you want and get?
A fun and relaxing trip with my mom in Iceland! We were really fortunate that the weather was lovely and we didn't encounter any major obstacles.

What did you want and not get?
I can't even think of anything. How lucky am I?

What was your favorite film of this year?
I think the only two movies I saw in the theatre this year were the Barbie movie and the new Paw Patrol movie. Both were okay. I'm sure Jordan and I streamed some movies at home but none stand out right now in my mind.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41. I had a nice morning at the apple orchard with the family, then I went to a hard yoga class at the new studio in town, and ended the day with delicious Indian food and fancy cake. And then a week later I had a great night out with Carrie!

What one thing would have made the year immeasurably more satisfying?
All things considered, this was a solid year. No complaints.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2023?
More t-shirts, more jeans, more comfort and peace in and with my body.

What political issue stirred you the most?
I've tried to avoid all political news this year. I feel some guilt about my privilege with that - being uninformed isn't cool, but I also don't feel like I have the capacity to hear it.

Who did you miss?
I'm always missing my friends in MN. I still can't believe I've lived in WI for over 10 years! I think I'll always be a MN girl at heart.

Who was the best new person you met?
Amy. Well, I didn't just meet her this year - I've known her for a few years- but I got to work with her closely this fall and she is just an amazing human. I knew that already, but now it's just more confirmed.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2023:
One of my yoga teachers often ends class with this quote (below) and although I think it's meant to be about yoga practice specifically, I also like it as a reflection on how to live life in general. 


I think this next year will be the beginning of a new season in my life and I'm excited for it! I seem to have good luck with years ending in a 4...

2004 - Jordan and I started dating, I studied abroad in England, and moved into my first apartment.
2014 - I finished my first year teaching at VAHS, we bought our first house, and Noah was born.
2024 - Who knows?!

No comments:

Post a Comment