As always... the Year in Review: 2022
What did you do in 2022 that you'd never done before?
Bought a milk frother. Stopped taking mental health meds. Found boots I like. Celebrated 10 years of marriage. Mowed a lawn. Visited Iceland. Swam in a geothermal hot spring. Saw a puffin. Turned 40. Experienced a surprise party for myself. Got a tattoo in another country. Had a pet die in my arms. Visited a physical therapist multiple times for the same injury. Wrote a new course proposal. Got into camping. Booked a vrbo. Went down a super scary waterslide in the dark. Used the Taco Bell and Starbucks apps.
Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any goals for this year. I'm not very good at goal setting, especially long term. But all things considered it was a decent year. Jordan and I were talking this morning about how 2022 was better than 2021, and 2021 was better than 2020... so I hope things are on an upward trajectory?!
One goal I have for 2023 is to take on fewer projects, responsibilities, and obligations. I think I'm a 'Yes' person so when an opportunity or idea comes to me, I usually think I should take it and run with it. And I actually like that trait about myself. But then I often get overwhelmed and tired and burnt out. So I'm going to try to make 2023 a 'No' year. We'll see if I can do it.
Did anyone close to you give birth?
A couple! I am a little jealous of the baby snuggles.
Did anyone close to you die?
One of my students committed suicide a couple months ago. It is awful and I am thinking of them often.
What countries did you visit?
ICELAND!
What would you like to have in 2023 that you lacked in 2022?
More resolve to take better care of myself, in all the ways.
What date(s) from 2022 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I can't think of any specific dates but our wedding anniversary (June 22) was especially nice this year as it was spent in Reykjavik.
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I didn't experience any anxiety on our trip to Iceland. I didn't think this was something I would ever be able to achieve.
What was your biggest failure?
I wasn't able to attend yoga nearly as much as I would have liked.
Did you suffer illness or injury?
I dealt with a frustrating wrist injury for over half the year (which is hopefully healed completely, finally!) And I had a really nasty flu virus, along with the rest of my family, over the holidays.
What was the best thing you bought?
I finally realized that leggings are the most comfortable thing ever. Why did I wait so long?
Whose behavior merited celebration?
Everyone that participated in submitting something for the birthday book that Jordan put together for me. It was so overwhelming to feel so loved.
Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I generally have a hard time understanding anyone that is too individualistic. You know we're living in a society, people!
Where did most of your money go?
Childcare and a mortgage.
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our trip to Iceland!
What song will always remind you of 2022?
I don't think I have a particular song. I think I listened to more podcasts than music this year.
Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
Probably happier.
ii. thinner or fatter?
I think I just get a little fatter every year at this point.
iii. richer or poorer?
Probably poorer. Shit is expensive.
What do you wish you'd done more of?
More traveling with the kids. Camping. Time outside. Read more books.
What do you wish you'd done less of?
Less time on my phone.
Did you fall in love in 2022?
I fall more in love with my three guys everyday.
What was your favorite TV program?
Probably junk on Netflix or Hulu.
What was the best book you read?
I read the Power by Naomi Alderman this month and thought about it for days afterward. I've been reading quite a bit over winter break, I'm hoping that trend sticks into the new year.
What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
I discovered the podcast Ear Hustle and have been listening to all the episodes in order. It was started by an inmate in San Quentin prison and a regular volunteer there in 2017 so it clearly took me a long time to stumble on it. It's excellent.
What did you want and get?
A year of generally good health for our family, thriving children, a healthy marriage, a satisfying career... there's not a lot more to ask for.
What did you want and not get?
I can't even think of anything.
I can't even think of anything.
What was your favorite film of this year?
I don't think I've seen movie in a theatre in over two years.
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40 and had a nice day at school and then had a night evening at home. And I thought that was it. And then my friends and family surprised me the next day. I think I was most surprised that they were able to surprise me because I'm super nosy.
I turned 40 and had a nice day at school and then had a night evening at home. And I thought that was it. And then my friends and family surprised me the next day. I think I was most surprised that they were able to surprise me because I'm super nosy.
What one thing would have made the year immeasurably more satisfying?
A not-fucked-up Supreme Court.
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2022?
I've fully committed to t-shirts and jeans for life. But I did discover the joy of a high waisted jean. And I bought black jeans. So maybe I'm branching out a little.
I've fully committed to t-shirts and jeans for life. But I did discover the joy of a high waisted jean. And I bought black jeans. So maybe I'm branching out a little.
What political issue stirred you the most?
Abortion is healthcare. Abortion is healthcare. Abortion is healthcare. Fight me.
Who did you miss?
I have really missed my friends in MN this year. I got to see a few of you which was awesome. I hope to see more of you in 2023!
I have really missed my friends in MN this year. I got to see a few of you which was awesome. I hope to see more of you in 2023!
Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't meet a lot of new people this year. My new colleagues at school at great, my kid's teachers are all lovely... we have a new vet?
I didn't meet a lot of new people this year. My new colleagues at school at great, my kid's teachers are all lovely... we have a new vet?
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2022:
Here are a few things I know off the top of my head: I am a lot better at going with the flow when plans change than I used to be. It is possible for me to exist in the world with minimal anxiety. I am a joiner. Just because I can, doesn't mean I always should. When I read before bed instead of watching TV, I have better dreams. I never regret taking a bath.
Here's to 2023!
No comments:
Post a Comment