Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Parkers Down Under: Video and Highlights

For my last blogpost about Australia, I wanted to include the videos clips we took on our trip- I put them together in longer movie, feel free to watch it below. One of my favorite routines when making a video was asking Jordan what we were seeing or doing, and then he would give me a silly answer. Yes, we're dorks and we know it. But we think we're hilarious.


As we've looked back on our trip over the past month, Jordan and I both put together a list of some of our personal highlights. Of course, there are many more than just the ones listed here, but these are some that stand out in our minds (and we didn't consult each other when making the lists!)

Jordan's Australia Highlights:
- Trying different tropical fruits in Cairns                                                                          (custard apple > dragonfruit > kiwi > passionfruit > starfruit)

- Walking around Hobart by myself on a weekday afternoon

- Cafes and coffee culture. By the end, I could confidently order a short black, and I especially liked when a server brought it out in a cup with a saucer.

- Seeing the topography of Australia from the plane window - both the rolling hills and breakers of Tasmania and the Bass Strait, and the bush in northern Queensland.

- Watching footy, rugby, netball, and soccer on TV.

- Seeing different birds: kookaburra, frogmouths, curlews, cassowaries, willy wagtails, ibis, and wild cockatoos.

- The history and natural history museums.

- Ferry and boat rides (in all three cities).

- Trying to figure out how to use the washer/dryer in both our Airbnbs.

- Seeing the Sydney Botanical Gardens, where the first NSW colony was.


Kayleen's Australia Highlights:
- Holding a koala bear in Cairns. Cheesy and touristy? Yes. Adorable and probably something I'll never get to do again? Also, yes.

- Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef. Cold. Colorful. Exciting. And a little terrifying.

- Wandering around Woolworth's and looking at all the different types of food- especially snacks.

- Riding the ferry to the Museum of Old and New Art in Hobart.

- When I was driving in Cairns, I saw a kangaroo jumping around in the ditch much like how we see deer while driving in WI. (Jordan says he doesn't remember this- but it totally happened!)

- Relaxing in our Airbnb/hotel and watching American television reruns- specifically Star Trek, the Office, Frasier, and Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman.

- Walking around the Chinese Garden of Friendship in Sydney

- Exploring an Australian Target and seeing how the products are displayed differently and sizing is different in clothing (even hoodies were sized as 4, 6, 8, 10, 12... instead of S, M, L, XL).

- Watching the daily sunrise from our balcony in Cairns

- Enjoying the view from the top of Mount Williamson- and enjoying the unexpected bagpiper.

And that's it for our Australia trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment