In an effort to move more off of social media platforms and more onto my blog, I am going to try to update monthly again.
I was really looking forward to New Year's eve this year. It's been my favorite holiday for a long time (not having to buy/accept gifts, staying up late, hanging out with friends, eating and drinking, a kiss and a fresh start?! All my favorite things!) and since 2020 was such a shitshow, it felt like moving into 2021 was especially momentous (although I know that nothing *actually* changes at midnight on December 31st, but I still like the magical thinking that it does.)
Jordan and I had a little family party and countdown with the kids before they went to bed, then we ordered Indian food and watched Knives Out. We didn't quite make it until midnight but it was close! The next day we had a fun family day and spent time walking around Epic together.
 |
| Pure romance. I love it. |
 |
| This series captures our marriage so accurately. I love my husband. |
 |
| Big walker! |
 |
| Sitting on the (stationary) carousel! |
 |
| First family photo of 2021! |
And then just a little over a week into the new year, Noah's appendix freaked out and we had our lives turned upside down for a little while. When Noah woke up on that Sunday, he said he didn't feel well and he had a little fever. I wasn't super concerned at first, but by the afternoon he wasn't doing better so I brought him into urgent care. After the exam, his blood test results came back the doctor immediately sent us to the ER. We were there for several hours doing more tests and scans, then an ambulance transferred us to the Children's Hospital because the other hospital didn't have a pediatric surgeon on staff. Noah had surgery around midnight and we were in the hospital for four days recovering.
I learned a lot of things from this experience. The biggest thing I learned is that Noah is more resilient and capable than I give him credit for. He did such a good job through everything, and his doctors and nurses commented on what a sweet and smart kid he is. I was so proud of him. I also learned how many people we have that are willing to help and support us by bringing things to the hospital, bringing over food, and sending cards. People often say that it's during hard times that you find out who is really there for you, and I was amazed at how many people reached out to us to ask how they could help. This pandemic has been very, very hard for me and it felt good to have that love around us.
I also learned that appendectomies are the most common thing that comes into the ER at the hospital- they see 2 or 3 a day. And it's a common surgery at the Children's hospital too- they had done another one earlier in the day before Noah. Here are some of the pictures that I sent to Jordan while I was with Noah at the hospital and he was home with Evan (I also learned that Jordan and Evan are really resilient too! They did so well considering it was Evan's first night away from me.)
 |
| Waiting in urgent care. Sad kiddo. |
 |
Waiting to be transferred.
|
 |
| First ambulance ride! |
 |
| Morning after surgery, loooong night. |
 |
| The daily sunrise view from our room. |
 |
| Feeling more like himself by day 3 |
 |
| Fun surprises! |
 |
| He struck this pose on his own. |
 |
| Finally getting to go home! |
 |
| Daily love in the mail. |
 |
| This kid. |
Things have settled back into our normal routine for now. Well, I guess I mean the new pandemic-normal we're all living now. It was a relief to watch the inauguration on the 20th. I feel like a weight was lifted that day that I didn't realize I was carrying around. I think a lot of people feel lighter now that there isn't a narcissistic lunatic living in the white house. And I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get the vaccine sometime in the next month, if the roll out can get more organized. And I've taken some necessary steps this month to work on my mental health which feels like a good way to progress into the new year. So, maybe 2021 is off to an okay start. Here are the random pictures:
 |
| My first project of the year: an interactive photo board for Evan |
 |
| Jordan's drawing of Homer vs. Keith's drawing of Homer. Tellestrations, anyone? |
 |
| When Jordan gives me Evan at bedtime, this is the face he makes. Every. Night. It's the best. |
 |
| Bathtub buddies! |
 |
| Bathtub baby! |
 |
| Me and the boys |
 |
| Noah and Shel Silverstein <3 |
 |
| Wisconsin winter shoveling |
 |
| The newest Pokemon master |
 |
| Oh Evan. |
No comments:
Post a Comment