On the fifth day of our trip, we stayed in Akureyri just walking around and exploring. Our apartment was very near the city center so we walked to a nearby cafe for breakfast and enjoyed having coffee outside and people-watching. Then we decided to take advantage of the nice morning weather and go to the local botanical gardens. We spent over an hour wandering around and checking out all the beautiful flowers and plants. There is also a huge, beautiful church, Akureyrarkirkja, at the top of a hill which was designed by an Icelandic architect, Guðjón Samúelsson. His best known work is Hallgrímskirkja, the iconic church we visited later on our trip in Reykjavik.
 |
| Breakfast! |
 |
| Yep, we're tourists! |
 |
| Where should we visit next? |
 |
| Sculpture on the waterfront |
 |
| Annnndddd... another tourist photo op |
 |
| I liked these cabbage flowers |
 |
| Some more pretty flowers |
 |
| And more pretty flowers... |
 |
| These pics can't really capture how lovely this garden was |
 |
| 1-2-3-Jump! |
 |
| Akureyrarkirkja. |
 |
| The view of the harbor from the top of the hill. |
There was rain forecasted for later in the day so we decided to eat lunch back at the apartment, then do some shopping and visit the Akureyri Art Museum. Maybe this is weird, but my favorite places to shop when I'm traveling are grocery stores, drug stores, and shopping malls. I feel like you see more unique, non-souvenir-y things and get to experience more of the local residents and culture. Jordan is always a good sport and humors me when I just want to stroll up and down aisles or window-shop looking at everything.
 |
| I am skeptical. |
 |
| No thank you! |
 |
| Hello little houses! |
 |
| I want this in my backyard. |
 |
| Outside the art museum... |
 |
| I loved the colorful sidewalk! |
 |
| This is slightly terrifying. |
 |
| Jordan wanted this pic to show Noah! |
 |
| View from the top floor of the museum |
 |
| I liked this exhibit because Doritos. |
 |
| Cozy coffee break while it rained! |
 |
| Then the sun came out! |
 |
| Can you spot the rainbow? |
 |
| What a cutie. <3 |
We hung out at the apartment for the rest of the night, eating take out and watching Netflix. It felt good to spend some time doing nothing. After all, we are on vacation!
No comments:
Post a Comment