Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Some new random things

1. WORK
Last week's job training was much like the first week of training. A lot of information, a lot of writing, a lot of sitting. Unfortunately I've now spent nearly a week in Cleveland and I still haven't really seen much of it at all. Since I needed to get to the training center by 9am, I had to leave Columbus while it was still dark out. Seeing the sun rise over the fog was pretty cool.


From what I've seen of Cleveland drivers, they are terrible. And I know that everyone always says that about whatever city they're in, but these were really the worst drivers I've ever seen. And I took photographic evidence of it. I took this picture while waiting to exit the interstate. I was in the exit lane, waiting patiently with everyone else in stop and go traffic. On my right, I was being passed by drivers going 60+ mph. They were driving on the rumble strips on the shoulder of the interstate. Not only is this illegal, it's crazy-dangerous. And it wasn't even just a couple bad drivers, it was literally dozens of cars. Then they cut into the front of the line when the shoulder ran out. 


Everyone should drive like me.

2. FOOD
I did some baking last week. My favorite apples, Honeycrisp, are in season and they make excellent apple dumplings. Jeremy, the agriculture teacher in Redwood, taught me how to make these and they're super easy. Cut up apples and roll them up into Pillsbury crescent rolls with cinnamon, sugar, and a little butter. Place in the dish, pour a couple cups of Mt. Dew over the top (I used a mixture of apple cider and Sprite, it was still delicious) and bake for 12 minutes. Yum City.


3. ANIMALS
Jordan loves woodchucks. I don't know why but there is something about these weird creatures that he finds adorable. On the day we moved into our apartment he looked out our balcony and saw this little guy living in the yard across the alley. I think his home is under the shed.


This was as close as I could get since this little dude is skittish. We decided that his name is Woody. A few weeks later we noticed that Woody had a buddy with him in the yard and named her Wilma. One time Jordan got the idea in his head that he should feed them so he looked up what they eat and took them some strawberries and almonds. I'm still waiting for a thank you card.


4. APARTMENT
When we moved in here, I immediately noticed that the area in front of the bathtub had a lot of broken tiles and the floor felt kind of like it was sinking in. Not safe. We spent the last month trying to get some maintenance people in to take a look at it and the work was finally done yesterday.


It looks much nicer and now I can I actually step out of the bathtub like a normal person rather than trying to jump out and avoid the creaky spot on the floor. Also, notice the fancy new toothbrush on the counter.

A side effect of working in a dental office is that I've become somewhat obsessive about my oral health. This toothbrush, the Oral B Triumph, is amazing. It has a detached timer that shows you which quadrant of the mouth you should be brushing, for how long, and it tells you if you're using too much pressure. There are also detachable brush heads for polishing and deep cleaning along the gum line. We had a 13 year old in our office last week that had 24 cavities and needed two root canals and crowns. 13 years old. He's only had his grown-up teeth for a few years and he's already managed to screw them up. There was another patient today that, as he was leaving and scheduling his next cleaning for the few teeth he has left, pulled out a pouch of tobacco, placed it on our reception desk, and put a plug of it into his mouth while speaking to me. If nothing else, this job is showing me a very wide demographic of people that I would probably never meet otherwise.

This weekend Jordan and I are going to a local farm to go on a hayride, pick pumpkins, and eat homemade doughnuts. I love autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment