Wednesday, October 26, 2011

There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin

My goal last weekend was to do lots of autumn-y things and of course that had to include a hayride and pumpkin patch. After walking in the woods on Saturday, we decided to go to a local farm on Sunday. There are actually quite a few to choose from in the area. I've noticed that Columbus can feel very urban when you're downtown or on campus, but you only need to drive out of the city for a few miles on the interstate before you're surrounded by flat land and farms. It's kind of a nice juxtaposition actually.

The first thing we did was pet some goats. I don't understand why, but Jordan doesn't like goats that much. I'm not sure if you can tell from his expression. We also visited a barn that was full of hay bales for climbing. They had a couple slides in there too but they were overrun with children. I really wanted to go down one of those slides but my adult judgment decided against it. This doesn't happen very often.



Next, we went through the corn maze. I was a little nervous about doing that since I recently read this article. But it was only noon so I figured we had a long time to find our way back out. Those stalks are surprisingly tall. Once you're in there, you really can't see anything except the sky and the stalks that surround you. Luckily, Jordan is a a-maze-ing and we got out without much difficulty. (See what I did there? Feel free to groan.) I am such a nerd.


 Hello? My ear is having a hard time hearing you.

Finally we got to do what I've been waiting for all fall: we visited the Great Pumpkin. I actually suggested to Jordan that he go as Charlie Brown for Halloween and I would be the Great Pumpkin but he shot that idea down. We are going to a party this weekend so I'm sure our costumes will make it into a blog post here. Anyway, here's the patch. This is only a very small section of the entire thing. 

The picture really doesn't do it justice. There were a hell of a lot of pumpkins out there. All hoping to be adopted.


A nice lady took a picture of us on the hayride out to the patch.

We walked around for about 10 minutes, searching for the perfect pumpkin. Obviously, Jordan was really, really excited when he found his. Also, he appears to be kind of angry. Maybe because the fun of looking was over.


 This was my artistic moment of the day.

Kayleen with Pumpkin by Jordan Busse, 2011 
vs. 
Son of Man by Rene Magritte, 1964
                       

1 comment:

  1. I'm with Jordan- not a big fan of goats..
    Looks like you are enjoying fall!
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete