Looking for a job is the worst.
My employment history is sort of charmed. My parents didn't make me work when I was in high school, minus my one month of telemarketing when I was 16 which I would like to just block out of my memory.
When I got to college, I applied for a job on the University Stagecrew because it was on campus and I didn't have a car. The hours were really flexible and the work, even though it was physical (lifting and stacking chairs, assembling staging, hanging curtains, rolling our carpets), wasn't too difficult. I was hired within a week of applying and in a year I was the assistant Stagecrew manager. It was a pretty sweet college job. I got to work with my roommate, Jacob. We got to meet some minor celebrities when they came to campus, we saved the easiest work for ourselves, and we generally just had a good time for the five years we worked and went to school together. Unfortunately this meant that I missed out on any retail or customer service work experience that a lot of college kids get. I've never run a cash register in my life.
In my last semester of college I applied for two teaching jobs in Minnesota. I didn't think anything would come from it, I was still focused on student teaching and getting through graduation. But amazingly I got a call for an interview within a week of applying, and was hired the day after the interview. And I spent the last five years in that teaching position. I basically went from five years working Stagecrew in college to a five year teaching job. Throw in a couple summers working at camps and in a bindery making books, and that's the extent of my work experience.
So now, looking for jobs, I don't even know where to start. I've had friends that were unemployed for months, applying to dozens of jobs, only to get one or two interviews. I'm so scared that is going to happen to me. I knew that quitting my job in this economy was a risk. I was tenured, I had a salary, I was safe. Giving that up to be with Jordan is worth it. But it's still scary.
Back to the search.
No comments:
Post a Comment